15 November 2010

Ch 21, Pt 2: "Lunch at Bonanza"


ennecott Mines

                                            "Lunch at the Bonanza," Pt 2

                                               ABOVE:  The Bonanza in its heyday

Bonanza, Jumbo and Erie mines all had
a south-westerly orientation, placing each mine site in its own unique
position to catch the setting sun. Each mine sat a thousand or more feet
below the summit of Bonanza Ridge and was therefore also in the path of
rock slides and avalanches. The tree line was somewhere below the angle
station at 3,800 feet. Even the brush line ended well short of even the
lowest camp. Each was at the head of an aerial tram line.

The Bonanza tram was 16,100 feet long and had a monthly capacity of
16,000 tons per month, using six-cubic-foot capacity buckets. The speed
of travel was 500 feet per minute. The Jumbo tram was 16,500 feet long.
It ran at 525 feet per minute. The 5000-foot long Glacier tram connected
to the Jumbo at about the halfway point at the Junction Station, which
showed on the map as Station No. 3. The angle station at 3,800 feet, was
the midway point for the Bonanza aerial tram. The Jumbo and Bonanza
trams terminated at floor level twelve of the mill at 2,300 feet.

The tram at the Erie was for personnel and supplies. The tram at Mother
Lode extended from the upper camp at the 5,200 level eastward to an an
abandoned lower camp at McCarthy Creek. The company rebuilt the tram in
1920 as an alternative means to supply the upper camp, but the
6,000-foot tram remained out of use in 1924. Another tram extended from
the Mother Lode upper camp to the Marvelous adit, two hundred feet
above. The ore from the Mother Lode was trammed underground through the
thirty-three degree Bonanza incline to the Bonanza adit at the 150
level, where the Bonanza aerial tram transferred the ore to the mill.

BELOW:  The Bonanza only thirty years after Birch visited it for the last time


No comments: