14 October 2010

Bob Haldeman Interview (22)

Monthly Luncheons at Agustinas 1389 


Swent : What was the address? 


Haldeman: Agustinas 1389. It still has on the top part of the concrete, 
that not even Allende took away, that is in intaglio, indented 
Roman letters, "Braden Copper Company." 

I had the apartment turned into a nice big dining room, an 
office suite, another executive office, and a secretary's 
office. We had it all redone. We started the invitations for 
about sixteen people, 1:15 or 1:30 for cocktails in my office 
room, and the best catering service we could get. Then we'd go 
in and have lunch. We had oysters, lobsters, the best wine. At 
that time you were able to get good cigars. Of course the 
Chilean politician likes to live well, and I invited all the 
political parties. I even invited Mr. Allende, but he never 
accepted. When Alessandri was president, he accepted. Gonzalez 
Videla accepted, and, in fact, he invited me. 


Chilean President Jorge Alessandri

I started to know the political leaders of the country--, all 
political, economic, social, banking, et ceteraand I mixed 
them up. Mario Illanes was a wonderful diplomat; he knew how to 
handle them. Of course, the first lunches were just as dry as 
could be. They were waiting for me to ask for what I wanted, 
and nothing happened. I just asked a couple of questions, "What 
do you think about this?" and so on. Word got around that these 
were just social lunches, and they had good food, the best 
liquors you could imagine, nice cigars, there were a lot of 
enjoyable people, and Haldeman didn't want anything; he just 
wanted to know. 

It got to be that Mario had a waiting list to be invited. 
The guys would stay around until 5:30 and 6:00 and booze. The 
radicals were the biggest bon vivants of the lunches. I got to 
know people who to this day are still my friends. That's why I 

was able to open doors, 
I could even call up ministers and so on . . . 
 

Byron E. Grant; Modernizing the Management 


 
 
Haldeman: I had come to Santiago in 1955 as head of the company 
(Kennecott's Braden Copper Company--RS). About 
that time I needed a second man, and I started to interview 
people who were recommended through Kennecott, other executives 
who had Latin American experience and Spanish or something. 
After a couple of attempts at hiring people and not being 
satisfied, which took about a year or a year and a half, I came 
across Mr. Byron E. Grant. He was the man whose last experience 
at that time had been in United States Smelting and Refining in 
Utah. He came down for an interview, and we talked together. 

About this time I became very aware of the need for 
incepting modern management methods in the company. We had been 
quite archaic, and the world was slipping us by, being so far 
away from the modern world. Harvard had started up, and 
industrial engineering became the fad, and new organization with 
all of the frills. And Mr. Milliken was quite a bug on 
management . 


Kennecott President Frank R Milliken 

I talked it over with Grant, as I was very enthused about 
the idea of becoming a bit more modern and bringing ourselves up 
to date. Mr. Grant accepted the job. Of course, I was in 
Santiago, and he, being in Coya, had the day-to-day business 
with the seven or eight thousand people involved. I was in the 
political arena with the government authorities and the likes, 
trying to get our image corrected in the country. Maybe two 
times a month we'd get together and plan out what we wanted to 
do. 

We decided at that time to incept all of the new tools that 
were out on the market- -wage and salary administration, job 
evaluation, reorganization, warehouse controls, training 
programs. We started to plan on how we would send our 
supervisors, superintendents, and second-in-lines abroad to get 
some training and mix with the rest of the world that was 
spinning around above us. We were too far away. 

No comments: