19 October 2010

A pipeline construction camp model for the CRD ?

  One long-term possibility for the extension of my model railroad is a representation  of one of those pipeline construction camps from the mid-70s, such as this one: Five-Mile Camp, just north of the Yukon River.
I have yet to dedicate space for such a project, but I have already considered some locations. This will take a lot of space.   I visited this camp in 1976:




Such a project would include a pipe-laying scene similar to those shown in these historic images taken during pipeline construction days:








  I will be utilizing these 1:25 side booms--the same type used during pipeline construction days. Currently I already have three of these models on hand.






If and when I build that pipeline camp model, the model camp WILL be serviced by a pipe-hauling railroad.  You never knew one existed ? There was one right here in Alaska. More on that in a follow-up post.



Rare shot of the train in Valdez that was temporarily used to distribute pipe during construction days. I knew it was Valdez because I recognized that mountain. Below was the normal mode of delivery of those 48-inch diameter pipe sections:





Below: A second view of Five Mile Camp, just north of the Yukon River (click)

No comments: