14 October 2010

Bob Haldeman Interview (13)


Sewell night scene

Charles D. Michaelson Haldeman: It's now 1951, and Mr. Milliken hires a Mr. Charles D. Michaelson, who had experience in Bolivia with the Patino group and in Cuba with a nickel company. He sent Mr. Michaelson down to Chile to train to take over Mr. Turton's job. Mr. Turton also was about the age of Mr. Stannard, and Turton had never really prepared any number two man young enough. He grew up with his cronies and stuck with them. He was the old, old school: "That's the way we do it," and "the rock in the box" thing. Forming management groups ten years apart for succession was something he didn't bother with; that wasn't management at that time. Mr. Michaelson came down here, and I think his job was general superintendent of operations, or about at that level. He saw that there was nobody below him, so he started to look around the company. After he got oriented, he started inviting me to have a martini in the afternoon and asked me about the mine. The next thing you know, I was called in by the manager. I was told after wards that Mr. Turton had also put an eye on me. He said he liked me because 1 also came from the mine; he was a mine man, and that had a lot to do with it, then. I was taken out of the mine as number two to Mr. Casarotto and put in as assistant to the general manager, in training. Well, that was a title that was created, and I was working under Michaelson 's wing. In 1952, after four or five months of training, they named me as general superintendent of operations and Mr. Michaelson as assistant general manager. I had to go around and learn what the smelter was like, and the shops and the railroad and so on. 
 


Index to Haldeman Interview

No comments: